Sunday, December 4, 2011

What I Now Think of Hellsing OVA

OK, people, now that I have watched more of the Hellsing OVA, I will give my thoughts on the OVA compared to the Hellsing anime once again. The OVA comes out on top. The anime is totally clean compared to the OVA. In the anime, people die. People lose limbs. When I look back at watching the anime, it reminds me of those films that came before Bonnie and Clyde. Back in those pre-Bonnie and Clyde films, when people got shot, there was no blood. Totally unrealistic. One example that I can think of at the top of my head is the end of Sunset Boulevard, where the main character gets shot a couple times and right before he dies, he falls into a swimming pool. You never see the red stuff. When Bonnie and Clyde came along, people actually bled when half of their face was blown clean off. I know Bonnie and Clyde doesn't even compare to films of the slasher and splatter genres of films, but the Hellsing anime makes Hellsing OVA look a bit like films of that kind, and yes, I know that compared to those genres, the Hellsing OVA doesn't compare either. The voices from the anime are the same, and they are equally as good, if not better. From what I've seen, the OVA also has a more interesting plot than the anime. I've also grown to like Hayato Matsuo's music score in the OVA, but that doesn't make the score from the anime any less awesome. Each score is fitting for their respective shows. I admit I was biased, doing a comparison of both shows after watching just the first episode of the OVA while watching all 13 episodes of the anime. After watching more, everything has settled down a bit. The first OVA episode was rushing through things because it didn't want to drag it out more than it had to. They didn't want the backstory and first few escapades of the King of Vampires and the Fledgling to be extended to more than one episode, after all. I didn't see that then, but I do now. For those of you who are watching the anime, watch the OVA if you wish. For those of you watching the OVA, you can watch the anime if you want to see exactly how these two shows stack up to each other. Just don't expect the anime to be anything like the blood fest that the OVA is. For those of you watching neither, watch either (or both) if you wish. Feel free to leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment